Kim and Donna, as part of a Soul Collage workshop, led a guided meditation to help us envision our totem animals. I was hoping for something graceful and elegant, able to leap in the air and run fast—a gazelle, perhaps. My Spirit gave me a big, old, ponderous, turtle.
Turtle is not glamorous, but really not as uninspiring as I first thought. Here is what I learned about turtle symbolism:
1. Turtle’s whole life is one of steadfastness, effort, and patience. It lives a slow and steady life of “non-doing”.
2. Turtle takes its wisdom one day at a time – not reacting, simply accepting and moving on in its natural rhythm.
3. The medicine of Turtle is its deliberate and thorough approach to life.
4. Turtle naturally withdraws and goes within when in turmoil. It does not need to learn the importance of this focusing inward, it naturally knows.
5. Turtle is courageous because it makes progress only when it sticks its neck out and moves forward with patient, steady flow.
6. Turtle is always at home within itself.
I have spent years learning about living one day at a time, being in the moment, and accepting life as it comes to me. All those words in all those books and discussions are summed up in “Turtle”. Once again I am humbled. And delighted by how cleverly Spirit teaches me.